News Beyond News

Mandera Bus Attacked By Suspected Al-Shabaab Militants

2 min read
Spread the post

At least eight travellers were injured on Tuesday, October 6 when suspected Al-Shabaab militants sprayed a bus with bullets in Mandera South.

Deputy County Commissioner Joshua Kitakwa told reporters that the incident happened between Elwak town and Kotulo.

“We are yet to know the exact number of injured people. So far no deaths have been reported,” he revealed.

A bus in Mandera. /FILE

However, a source at Kotulo Sub-county Hospital, where the injured were first taken, told the Daily Nation that at least four people were in critical condition.

“We have received at least eight victims but four are in need of specialised care,” said the source.

The bus christened Makkah left Mandera town at about 8am and was ambushed at about noon.

A survivor who spoke on anonymity said the gunshots flattened the vehicle’s tyres and damaged its fuel tank.

“It rained bullets as the driver maneuvered. He stopped after the tyres were deflated,” he said.

The gunmen fled without inspecting the bus as they always do in such incidents.

The incident comes just weeks after three people were abducted in Mandera County.

Police told the media that the victims were masons travelling to Lafey Town for work.

The abduction happened about 30 kilometers from Lafey Town.

In August, over 50 suspected terrorists were reportedly seen crossing the Kenya-Somali border prompting Mandera County Commissioner Onesmus Kyatha to raise concerns during a security meeting.

“As we speak, I have received intelligence that about 50 members of the terror group have entered Kenya, and have ordered residents of Yedho area to vacate for them to take over,” he explained.

The increased terrorist activity in the area has resulted in the resumption of construction of the controversial 700 km wall at the Kenya-Somalia border.

The perimeter wall is expected to have observation posts where electronic surveillance cameras to monitor movements on either side of the border.

The terror group has been carrying out attacks in several parts of the country since Kenya contributed troops to the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom) in 2012.

Its most gruesome attack took place at Garissa University College on April 2, 2015, when 148 people, most of them students, were massacred.

At Nairobi’s Westgate Mall on September 21, 2013, 67 people were killed in an ambush that resulted in a four-day siege.

A child is rescued by Abdul Hajji after a gunmen attacked Westgate mall on September 21, 2013./ THE STAR

Spread the post

Email your news TIPS to info@254news.co.ke to get your article published.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.